My dear sweet cousin, Brynn, passed away on June 7th. She was riding her bike when a car hit her and fled the scene. I will never forget the moment when my Mom called me to tell me the tragic news. The first thoughts that came to my mind were "NO! Why? Poor Brynn! What happened?" The second thoughts to cross my mind were of her sweet family. My aunt and uncle and their children have always been a part of my life and my heart ached for their loss. There are very few childhood memories that don't include the Jeff and Debbie Barton family. Many summers were spent on family vacations, in the pools, sleepovers, boating on the lake and many other fun things. Some of my favorite childhood memories of Brynn included endless handstand competitions in the pool, breaking the hammock at Bruce and Holly's and laughing til we cried, spitting spit wads in the pizzeria until one got spit up Brynn's nose, swimming in the pool until it was dark and ending up in the jacuzzi bathtub to warm up and many fun times on the water weenie and tubes at Bear Lake. Brynn was so talented in all that she did from school to music... she played the harp, and I am so lucky to have the memory of her playing her harp at my wedding reception. She played beautifully and I even have it recorded on my wedding video. It is definitely something I will cherish. Brynn was always so much fun to be around. Most recently I remember running into her at a Utah football game chatting in the hallways for quite some time just catching up and laughing. She always had a huge smile on her face and that laugh?? That laugh could light up a whole room and make everyone start laughing too! I am so glad that I decided to go to our Barton family Christmas party this year even though I was HUGE and pregnant and went into labor just a few short days later. Brynn was so cute and asked me all about my pregnancy and was so sincere about her concern for me. I won't forget our white elephant gift exchange and her incessant laugh while her red and white striped Santa socks (my white elephant that I brought) got stolen by Erin! She was so sweet, and I will really miss her and that crazy laugh!
The night before her funeral I went over to my Aunt and Uncles house to help get ready for the next day. I couldn't believe the strength they had, and I felt a little silly for being so emotional when I saw them being so strong. What an amazing family Brynn has! She was so lucky to be a part of that wonderful group of people, and they were so lucky to have her a part of their family too. At her funeral there was such an overwhelming feeling of the spirit, and it was wonderful to have all of our family together. It was unfortunate that it was under such awful circumstances, but it was nice to all come together and rally around each other and lift each other up. My cousins and Uncle spoke at her funeral and I was amazed to hear what a full life Brynn had lived. She truly inspired me to just get out there and DO. They gave everyone bracelets that read "Live To Inspire", and that is just what Brynn did and continues to do. She will forever live on in my heart and continue to inspire me.
My prayers are still with my Aunt and Uncle and my sweet cousins, I can't begin to imagine what they are going through. But the comfort in all of this is that our Heavenly Father has a plan for us, and that has never been more evident to me than it is now. It is so comforting to know that I will be able to see Brynn's sweet smiling face again one day. I love you Brynn. Until we meet again.



3 comments:
I am so incredibly sorry for the loss of your dear cousin. Everything I read and heard about Brynn was amazing- I love the Live To Inspire bracelet idea. It sounds like that motto portrays a pretty perfect snapshot of her life. Love you girl!
i'm so sorry for this hard time that you and your family are going through. i think it's awesome though that she lived in such a way that inspires people to do better. that definitely can make it a more positive and strengthening experience. love you.
What a tragic thing to happen to such a wonderful and beautiful girl. I am so sorry you and your family have to go through this. I hope they find the person responsible.
Post a Comment