Be who you are and say what you feel. Because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Project Bathroom: Cabinets

With the walls a little darker, the room needed a little lightening up. I painted the dated orange icky oak cabinets with a nice fresh coat of Pillar White paint with primer from Behr. We also added some hardware to give it a little more character. I was so mortified of taking on this project, but I have to say.... I am really happy with the result! I researched a lot of cabinet makeovers, and went to Home Depot and also asked for some simple advise. I ended up first wiping down all the cabinets with mineral spirits. This takes all the gunk and grime off as well as any extra shine that needs to be removed. Then I lightly sanded any rough spots that I could feel on the cabinet fronts. I taped off the room and went to town. I used the paint with primer so it saved me a few steps. It took me quite a while to finish this project because of the dry time between the coats. Then I wanted to wait a few days for the paint to really harden before I added the hardware. All in all I think it took me a week to finish this room. Not too bad. I am still getting used to seeing a completely different look in here. But for the most part I think I really like it!
{BEFORE}{first step... remove doors}{second step... tape the crap out of it.}
{third step... paint.}
{step four... put it all back together again.}
{step five... add some cool hardware.}
{oil rubbed bronze... my fav.}
{AFTER}
Step six... enjoy.

No comments: