Be who you are and say what you feel. Because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Mom Questions: Registry/ Purchasing

Hello all you moms out there.... Just a quick question I thought I would post into blog world to get a little advice.

What are your top five baby items that you cannot live without?

I am going to be registering for baby showers etc. soon and starting to gather some necessities on my own. I want to know what baby items you love and what you couldn't live without!

And another quick question on the same topic...

Where are the best places to register for baby? Any bad/ good experiences with specific stores?

Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate it!

PS... I promise this blog won't turn into a baby blog... YET! I am working on lots of other fun posts coming soon! So stay tuned!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

1. baby carrier. i personally love the mobywrap.. but lots like the typical carriers such as baby bjorn.
2. bouncer/swing. i like swings better but both are great.
3. stroller. now these get expensive, but in my opinion don't go too cheap. we've gone through so many strollers just to save money but ended up spending more money and really liking our strollers and they are worth the money.. you use them lots!
4. walker/jumper. i enjoy both...kids can usually go in them around 3-4 months and they are great.
5. blankets. lots. i feel you can never have too many.

baby's r us is expensive but has good stuff. i actually really like target and they give you a good goodie bag when you register:)

Steph, Joe, and Sophia said...

I got a baby bjorn-ish thing with Sophia and I think that I would have loved to try a baby wrap/sling. Also, get a GOOD diaper bag. One that you love. I used various large purses and just didn't like that as much. Also, a portable mat for changing a babies diaper so they don't have to touch those gross bathroom things.

Unknown said...

I loved my Binki Clip and Pacifier Pod. I always knew where the paci was! Also, you'll want to register for lots of different types of binkis. Even though some are super cute, your little man will let you know what kind he likes. Also, BURP RAGS! You can't have enough of those if you have a vomi-tor like I did. Swaddle blankets. I like the Aiden + Anis ones, but there are tons of new styles and brands now. They only had those kind when I had Thomas and you had to buy them online. Last and not least get nursing pads BEFORE your milk comes in!

Chauntel and Matthew said...

Oh I can't resist giving you some advice! I LOVED having two diaper bags. I had a larger one for travelling/all day things and a smaller one for running to the grocery store or something. And a humidifer. Don't go cheap on that either. It was something we had NO idea we needed! If you are looking at baby carriers, we had a bjorn which was nice but after a while the baby just gets to heavy and it hurts your shoulders... my sister had a Ktan which is all cloth, easy wash and you can put them in several different positions and adjust the shoulder weight distribution. If you plan on nursing get plenty of lansinoh and a nursing cover is a must. Get one with a wire in it so you can look down at your baby while he's nursing. One more thing.. might be TMI for some but thought you might like to know.. bring your own pads and underwear to the hospital. They give you huge diaper ones and they are just ridiculous. Ok, I could go on forever! Hope it helps!

Amber said...

Here's my list of musts:
*Baby bjorn-then Jerry can use it too!
*A swing that swings both directions
*Those blankets--like I said, I used them to swaddle, as a nursing cover, a sun shade, etc. etc...
*Replace the light switch with a 'dimmer' light in the baby's room
*A TON of Carters brand onesies, short and long sleeve
*A bucket and a Costco size bucket of OxyClean for soaking poopy clothes!

Those are just a few! I want to come see the nursery!!

Amelia Poll said...

I already told you about the wee wee tee pees..seriously helpful for diaper changes.

I also didn't expect to want/need a Boppy, but I LOVE mine. If you are going to be nursing, it really helps hold the baby.

If you want to buy a nursing cover, you can go to uddercovers.com, and enter the code "babies" and you will only have to pay for shipping (about $10). It is a good deal.

Don't buy Gerber brand onsies - they run SUPER small! However, we did use their long-sleeve t-shirts that have the little mitts on the end when we first brought him home so he wouldn't scratch his face and so it wouldn't agitate his umbilical cord. If you buy those, buy the 6 month size... The 0-3 month ones are teeny (which, I guess, if your little guy comes out less than 7 pounds would be just fine).

And we didn't register, so I can't speak to that... Good luck!!

Brynn and Jared said...

BIZ works best for blow out clothes (just soak the clothes in the biz before you wash them. I have a biz bucket ready on hand- - i'll show it to you)
Be careful at Babies R Us...no receipt=no return/exchange (maybe it's different if you registered for it)
A ROCKING CHAIR!!! It made those long but irreplaceable nights do-able.

Brynn and Jared said...

ps: do what you want and experiment but studies have shown that nursing pads actually draw out your milk so you leak more.? i only used them for the first 2 months and i don't leak -- even when she cries. My favorite brand of pads was the lansino brand.

The Duncans said...

- video monitor, a little expensive but definitely worth it once you decide to let them self soothe with a little crying

- baby carrier, I like baby hawks and slings. I like wearing my babies

- nice chair to feed baby during the night. We opted for a lazy boy rocker. it was one of the best presents I got.

- nursing cover, if you plan on breastfeeding this is the easiest was to go unless you don't mind the world seeing you.

- spacious diaper bag, I hate being unorganized so the more pockets the better. I like skip hop or if your have all the money in the world my dream bag is a Nest bag.

I have about a million more musts now that I have gone through 2. But those would be my top 5. Also I suggest really researching highchairs. They have space saving ones that are really awesome. We have a boon and I love it (we dont have much room for a highchair in our kitchen). Oh and also research the heck out of strollers there are some that cant grow with you from one child to two. My dream stroller is a phil and teds.

Stacy said...

Every baby is different and needs different things, but this is my top 5 list:

Nipple Shield-did wonders for me. Nursing is not easy and it is painful, but with the nipple shield I was able to get through the pain.

3rd Trimester Class-okay this really isn't an item, but it helped out my husband more than anything. He knew what to expect when I went into labor and knew how he could help me with pain. He also knew what to expect when the baby finally came out. We took ours at LDS hospital, but I think you can take it pretty much any place.

Boppy pillow-great to use even when you are not nursing the baby.

Night lights-this is more for Jerry so that you don't have to turn on a big light when you get up to feed the baby but you can still see what you are doing. If Jerry gets up with the baby, then it is for you more than him!

Car Seat Cover-you may have one on the way...

I know these aren't really baby items and I am late posting this since you have already started to have baby showers, but I thought I would put in my ideas!