The other day I walked into the house after a long day of work to see my sweet husband doing his homework at our dining table. I see our cute little puppy fast asleep in her kennel and I decide to be a good dog mom and let her out and play for a while. As soon as I let her out she runs over and jumps up on Jerry's lap. He mentioned how long her nails were getting and that we should probably trim them soon. I then decide to be a good dog mom and wife and trim our cute puppies nails.
As I was attempting to trim her nails, you know, and be a good dog mom and all... she decided to have one of her lovely spaz attacks and try and run away WHILE I was trimming away. I was struggling with her and I only had a couple more nails to trim. I had Jerry come over and hold her while I trimmed the last nail. Her right paw was cupped in my hand and the clippers were in the other. I found the right spot to trim and then I cut. In that split second that I made that tiny little cut she moved her paw. There was no yelp. No sign of discomfort. I praised her for being such a good puppy and I even said, "See? That wasn't so bad." Then I looked down. Blood. Everywhere. I looked at Jerry who had just let go of Desi's collar and said, "SHE'S BLEEDING!" . My shout must have scared her because she jumped off the Love Sac and ran around the dining room and under the kitchen table. All the while spreading blood all over the place. GRAB HER! we both screamed simultaneously. Once we got her we dragged her into the kitchen where there was tile instead of carpet. I grabbed a rag and wrapped her little paw in it. Jerry and I looked at each other and we had NO idea what to do. This wasn't just little drops of blood we were talking about. This was major bleeding... like, blood guts and gore stuff right out of a movie. My arms and legs were covered in bright red and we were in a panic. Jerry jumped on the computer and I tried to get Desi to focus. She thought this was all just a game. I was tearing up and I was trying to keep myself from bawling. I felt awful that I had done this to our little Desi girl. We ended up dipping her toe in flour and getting the bleeding to stop for a while until we could run to the store and get a styptic pen. Throughout the night the bleeding would stop then start then stop then start. Our house looked like it had a horror film playing out inside it. We spent the night cleaning up blood, consoling each other (well, mostly Jerry laughing at me and consoling me for feeling so bad... really.... I was just trying to be a good dog mom and wife.), giving the dog lots and lots of treats and mopping and scrubbing the floors.
What a horror. I will NEVER, I repeat, NEVER clip her nails again. I'll leave that to the professionals. Sheesh.
4 comments:
Don't worry Will did that to our old chihuahua we used to have. We had to run to petsmart and gets bleedstop. It was so sad. You should get the pedipaw...we have it for our lab and its great. it files the claws down instead of cutting them.
Oh my GOODNESS! I am so sorry this all happened!!! How traumatic! I hope Desi, you, and your blood-splattered house are recovering ok! Love ya!
If it makes you feel any better, I foolishly decided to clip baby Tyson's fingernails for the first time the day of his blessing. He was wearing all white. I was nervous. He jerked and I nicked his thumb. Blood wiped all over both of us.
I felt awesome!
Oh, this is so sad! It is definitely worth it to pay the professionals.
Post a Comment