Be who you are and say what you feel. Because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Project Office: Spray Paint

So... my color scheme for our newly redecorated office is olive green, tan and white. A little different, but I really wanted something that looked organized and serene, but with a little bit of unexpected color here and there. I am by no means a decorator, so I did the best with what my little mind had to offer. One thing that I have learned through DIY blogs and other sources of inspiration is that not everything has to be perfect at first... it can be changed to be made perfect. I have a really slim budget for things like decorating, so I usually have to make do with what I have. Sometimes what I have just really isn't what I want, and this is where my new favorite tool comes into play. Two words... spray paint. I had a few things that I wanted to use in this space that just didn't fit. I also found a few really cute things at hobby lobby in the 80% off section that I thought would work, but just weren't the right color. I am terrible at before pictures, so you will have to just imagine what they looked like before!
I had my own little spray paint party and this is what I came up with...

I got these book ends at Hobby Lobby for $1.60 last year... they were black, and I really wanted to lighten up the space. So I brought some bright white spray paint into play and TA-DA...
I REALLy didn't want to have to buy all new magazine holders. The ones I had were just fine. But they were BLACK. So I got some spray paint for plastic in Dover White and this is how they turned out. I like them A LOT better this way. What was I thinking with all the black stuff??
I got this frame at the DI like six months ago for one WHOLE dollar. I didn't know exactly what I was going to do with it. It was painted red and gold. I found some army green spray paint and went to town. I still need to get some glass and put a photo in it. But I like it this way!I used that same army green spray paint on a couple of frames I found at Hobby Lobby for $1 each. One was red before and the other was pink. (don't mind the lack of picture.... I'm still working on that)I used some of my left over oil rubbed bronze spray paint to paint an old lamp that was a hand me down from my mom. It was black and gold crackle painted. A new lamp shade from Smith's Marketplace on sale for $9 to match my curtains and I am in love! I repainted this frame I got a while back at HobLob for $2 as well with my left over ORB spray. It was a light tan color before, and it was just too close to the color of my baskets so here is the after!

{you have to look really close to see a real difference, but I like it A LOT better}
I also found these babies in the hoblob clearance section for a good 40 cents each. They were black with gold fleur de lis painted on them. I painted them a crisp white, distressed the edges and now they hold all of our grocery bags!

See?? Things can really be transformed by a few squirts of spray paint! Now everything is matching and I think it looks great all together in the final product! And I did it all for less than $23!

5 comments:

Klo said...

UM....PLEASE teach me the ways of a crafty bizzle!!! im serious!!! all of your stuff is ADORABLE!!!!

t.t.turner said...

I am so impressed!

Amelia Poll said...

That all looks amazing! It is so fun to be able to have a hand in all the decorating rather than just buying it all.

Spray paint is one of the best inventions ever! We used it for decorating for Senior Prom in a way that I never would have even thought! It's very versatile, and quick. Again, looks awesome!

Allison and Josh said...

Wow, beyotch! Everything looks amazing! Please show me the ways! I need to hit up Hobby Lobby ASAP!

TomKat said...

Oh my heavens chica! You are amazing! I need you to teach me your fun skills. My house is so not decorated cute like that.